This is a DEMO.
That means what you're looking at IS NOT A FUNCTIONAL GAME. . . . yet.
- (I do update this file every now and then. Once you get to the end. . . *shrug* You get to the end.)
- Current end: Talking with "Unknown", and while you can walk away, you won't be able to leave the room.
- Total game size so far: 528KB
- - - - - - - Updates*facepalm* I somehow managed to break the menu. Oh well, didn't do anything anyway and I have the working code elsewhere.
January 21, 2011 - New start screen, starting speechbox progress.
December 14, 2010 - Original post date.
- - - - - - - What is this about?
Alright, guys. I've had this little itty bitty behind the scenes project for a while. I thought I'd show those of you who aren't close friends with me exactly what it is I'm up to when I'm not doing art. Game programming! (Sprites used here are half custom, half ripped from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.)You may at first wonder what this has to do with art - but don't forget coding is itself an art form. I could easily replace the graphics with stick figures and the point and purpose would be the same. I won't be surprised if this gets taken down by DA for some asinine reason or another, but by the time that happens, I'll be ready to port it back up with custom graphics instead of KH stuff.
You may notice on the 'click to Play' screen I have a custom outfit for Riku (who is actually Repliku) that I haven't completed, else it would be in use.
- - - - - - - Things that are done:
This is a "functional" demo to show off the coding I have implemented. I think I'll tutorializing some of it later if there's interest:- Preloader
- Keyboard arrow keys move the player.
- A virtual camera follows the player.
- Collision data.
- Portal mechanics.
- Functional HP bar with potions and damage to prove it.
- One of three random sound files plays when the player is hurt.
- Navigation menu moves up and down. (With S and W. Yes I'm aware they don't light up red. >_> I actually forgot to do that. FFfff---)
- Speech box progress: about 65% as done as I'd like it to be
Now, the fun thing here is that when this gets upgraded from this demo to something more playable, W and S will still move the menu up and down, but the 1 key on the keyboard will activate whatever you currently have selected. The 2 key will activate a reaction command such as talking, examining, dodging on a cue, etc.
- - - - - - - F.A.Q.- Why do not teh menu actually do nothin? - Why? Because its actually just there to look pretty. Of course it doesn't do anything. The real magic was getting the keyboard to functionally scroll it up and down on key presses. You have no idea.
- Did you know if you hold down 1 and press HIT you'll never actually get damaged? - Yes, obviously. Good thing this wouldn't come up in actual gameplay.
- What was this made in? - Flash MX using actionScript 2. (Not 3. Haha. I don't feel like getting a newer version of Flash to work with 3.)
- Where did you get the sprites that are clearly ripped from? - Spriters-Resource.com.
- What about the audio? - Sounds-Resource.com.
- - - - - - - Final Statements: - This absolutely NOT FOR PROFIT. This was purely for the learning experience.
- If you have Flash and know some actionScript basics, I will be more than welcome to write up some tutorials with example code explained and provide source .fla files as necessary. Anyone have interest in this?
- If anyone is willing and able to assist me or would like updates on this little fan project-y thing, let me know.